Friday, November 20, 2009

Time To Wrap It Up and Stick A Bow On It!

Well, we're home. It's bittersweet. While it's nice to have the creature comforts of home...heat, big bed, comfy chair, separate studios...I miss our little travel trailer, or maybe I'm missing what it represents.
The call of the road is haunting. The days and evenings are about immediacy and timing, freedom and choices, comfort carved from basics. Now that we're home we have to face It. It being commitments, orders, cleaning, cooking, yard work, Holidays with a capital H, the stuff we've pushed off until after The Big Trip. It's taken me 2 weeks to admit we're home. I've raked and cleaned out gardens, I've done the laundry, I've cooked big pots of comfort food (must seriously face dieting this winter, as we literally ate our way across the country and back), we've made it through the mail and the email, and we've found our daily momentum again. The only thing left is to admit that we're home and to write the final blog of the journey.
Today is Friday. All week long I've been "going to write the blog today". I have been finding other things to do. That's not hard, there's always something to do. I finally figured out, this morning, that the reason I haven't written the final journey blog is that in writing it, the journey is over.
I know, you've all figured that out already, sometimes we don't see the things that are right under our noses. Now, I need some closure.
To put a positive spin on this kind of sad sounding blog, let me just say that it was the trip of a lifetime. The Bad Lands, Wyoming antelope, the deserts, the cities, the Grand Canyon, Route 66, the museums, the galleries, the shopping, the food, the shows, the friends. It was all....WOW! We were excited to see the country and there is so much to see and experience, but we found that the unexpected moments, the lengthy quiet times, the little scares, the shared tiredness at the end of the day, the new favorite restaurant, the Wal Marts, the afternoon coffees, and the laughing over our inexperience at hauling a little trailer through lands we had never seen, this is really what what it was all about. food. It was all.............
Do something you've never done before. It's so good for your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment